Hmm, how to put this…
after about 20 minutes so far, i have to say that liked katawa shoujo better when it was called deus ex human revolution—
(@jpmeyer) January 27, 2012
Nah, that’s not quite it.
Read the rest of this entry »
So few years ago JP wrote an article about the hubbub over Rapelay. It was some stupid eroge where the player rapes women but then gets hit by a train or stabbed to death in return (so not like justice wasn’t served!) Recently though, a BL game came out called Hadaka Shitsuji – aka Naked Butler. In my eyes, based on reading both the gameplot for Rapelay & following a friend’s game progress, Hadaka Shitsuji is a million times worse.
Woke up to some shocked news this morning. One of my favorite female VAs has passed away at the young age of 41 due to ovarian cancer. My favorite Kawakami-san roles were Rosette from Chrno Crusade, Noelle from Tenshi ni Narumon as well as Misuzu from Air. I have yet to play the Air PS2 game, which is fully voiced…I think story aside, I will be crying for a different reason now…(´；ω；｀)
Rest in peace.
Michael Robinson notes a trend in New Korean Film, especially in the wake of Shiri (Swiri, Kang Che-kyu 1998) where filmmakers were using “politically or culturally charged themes as simple plot elements or settings in their scenarios for their dramatic effect, not to make a political point”1 in a radical shift from the practices of the Golden Age of the 1950′s and 60′s and of the Korean New Wave of the 1980′s and early 1990′s and their portrayals of imperialist Americans or heroic struggles against Japanese colonists. In a recently post-colonial nation such as South Korea, this creates a complication of traditional post-colonialist ways of thinking. What happens now when a culture that has suffered a collective erasure of its memory and culture takes this position once it is no longer colonized?
Read the rest of this entry »
Not sure what else to call it but since our blog’s been kinda dead this month I figured I’d post some random blurbs.
- Yumekui Merry & Infinite Stratos – No idea why I’m still watching these 2. In IS all the whores do is fight over 1 dick while the trap gets all the action and in Merry they’ve run out of plot ideas so they threw everyone on the beach and made Merry act completely out of character.
- Naruto (Manga) – Why don’t we all just fucking turn everyone into a 9 tailed fox. Wouldn’t that be lots of jolly fun! At this point, I just skim the chapter pages waiting for a character I give a crap to show up. I kinda stopped keeping track of all the “soon to be killed/wiped off the face of the manga” characters Kishimoto has thrown into the last 15 chapters.
- Anime Blogs are Dying! – Someone I don’t really know started bitching about how anime blogs are dying. They made these complicated charts about all these blogs that started in 2008 and are now dead. Nowhere is mine or JP’s blog(s) listed. That’s funny. We started in 2006 and despite the updates slowing down, we’re still alive and kicking! ヽ(^ω^ω^ω^ω^ω^)/ Besides I”m the one who chose to move my gaming blogging somewhere else. If I blogged all my otome game shit here you’d see updates every week.
- Wut – Why’s everyone going apeshit over Kyuubei? Freaking SHAFT fanboys （ಠ_ಠ). Like it’s the first anime ever with a cute mascot that turned out to be evil. I mean if they didn’t make him evil, the entire anime would just be a card captor sakura ripoff anyway ( ´_ゝ`).
- Starry Sky – So yea I was blogging this show but MY FAVORITE CHARACTER episode feels like a fucking yaoi fest. The freaking heroine didn’t EVEN SHOW UP IN THE EPISODE. It was just 3 dudes laughing and touching each other. :;:;:;:;ガ―｛´_｀゜|||｝─ン;:;:;:; Did Honeybee have a say in this or does DEEN fucking love making BL anime? Don’t really think I’ll be blogging the rest of it to be honest…
- Onizen is hilarious as usual. I laugh every week. It’s probably the only show I look forward to on the weekends. I’m still watching Zombie and I’m glad Ayumu sliced her cooter but sad she didn’t die. It’s like the one show you wish people would freaking die and stop coming back 20 times. Starts to give me unpleasant flashbacks.
- Dramas – I don’t know. As JP pointed out, they were all detective shit. Maybe we’ll have a better selection in the Spring & Summer?
That’s pretty much it. I’m playing otome games as usual but JP seems to finally found a download for Trizenon so maybe he’ll finally be able to post something about that show
So I know how everyone complains “Waaaaaaaaaah, every anime is lolipedo moeshit!”, “Waaaaaaaaaah, every anime is fanservice trash”, and so on. Those are exaggerations, of course. But dramas, on the other hand, really are all the same. Check out the list of this season’s dramas.
There are 25 new dramas airing this season. That 25 consists of:
NHK prestige dramas: 3
TROUBLED people with PROBLEMS: 2
Eccentric-teacher-with-a-troubled-school: 2 (plus a special that I didn’t count)
Doctors: 1 (Wow, only one. I guess they’re all still continuing)
Fake Winter Sonata ripoff: 1
Live-action Trapeze: 1
KILLER (Korean girl group) WHORES: 1
LIVE-ACTION GARTENDER: 1
Also note that there’s a little more overlap, like how some of those period dramas are also NHK prestige dramas, and how some of those detective shows are about TROUBLED detectives with PROBLEMS
As I mentioned in my last post, my motherboard fried (eat a cock Dell) so I’ve ordered parts to build my own computer. Until then though, I’ve spent a lot of time doing something I haven’t done in months: Watch US TV So last night Kill Bill Vol. 1 was on TNT, and since it’s on like TNT rather than HBO or something, it was heavily edited. Now I’m not really a fan of violence and someone saying the F word 5 times a minute isn’t going to necessarily enchance the movie for me…but maybe it’s this addition of profanity & violence that is actually a “part” of the movie..because otherwise the movie felt really stupid to me.
I mean the first part was cool. She’s going to get revenge, she’s kicking asses. Then it all pretty much went to hell once she got to Japan. I don’t know why they kept switching between Japanese and English especially since Uma Thurman’s and that Chinese lady’s Japanese was fucking terrible. When they were fighting I was like “alright, you both can speak PERFECTLY GOOD ENGLISH, for the love of god why are you sitting here butchering Japanese……” ==;
The fight scenes were terrible. After seeing Kick Ass (which was also another violent and profane movie) I can say that the choreography in that was much better. What JP tells me is the Japanese fight was choreographed poorly on purpose to be like those old timey Yakuza movies. I mean it works for those old timey yakuza movies because they were made like 40 years ago. It doesn’t work for a movie made in the last 10 years, especially when the fight sequence with the black lady at the beginning was done SO MUCH BETTER. It’s like the fight scenes got progressively worse throughout the movie. It’s like I could almost see the fake cables they had to pull Uma around so that she “flies” while she does her bootleg samurai moves
I don’t know if it was the editing, the crappy Japanese, or the attempt to be like a 1970s Yakuza movie, but Kill Bill was…retarded. I mean maybe Volume 2 is better if she’s fighting back in America with nice choreography and less crappy sword fights, but I don’t know if I want to bother at this point lol.